Sunday, May 22, 2011

Not My Kid

I have little patience when it comes to my kids, more so yours. Don't get me wrong, if anyone hurts or picks on any of my friends' kids, I will come after you, but don't expect me to be patient with them either. This world has enough brats and spoiled kids. Sadly the One Child Policy in China is churning them out too quickly. I expect my kids to behave and treat other kids with respect and I certainly expect other kids to do the same. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like many parents share my point of view.

I was going to vent about this a few weeks ago, but since it was right around Mother's Day, I thought I should hold off. I even thought about not writing about it, but after our trip to the Play Room today, my fire is fueled again. I need to write about it and vent.

It all started last month during Nacho's Sports Day. The whole kindergarten went to Aberdeen at 10 am to have a whole morning filled with sports and games. I went along with her thinking it would be fun and quick and that we should be home well before lunch. Boy was I wrong.

Although it was a beautiful day, the heat of the sun quickly started baking all of us on the sports ground. Nachos was having a great time, running, chasing after balls, laughing and winning. Her head was soaked with sweat within a few minutes, but at least she was having a blast. I only wished I was having as much fun as she was. I admit I had to keep her in line a few times, but I was there, making sure she played fair and took turns. But where the heck were the rest of the adults?

A few kids started picking on each other. Some started snatching balls from others, cutting in line, running off with the balls, etc. I tried to ignore them at first, but after a full hour under the sun, I was tired, hot and my patience dissolved. During a round of soccer wherein the kids had to line up into 2 lines and take turns kicking the ball around a row of cones, I lost it. After Nachos took her turn, a few boys started kicking the ball elsewhere. Another took the ball as his own and cut into the front of the line. I looked up, had no idea which one the mum was and took things into my own hands. I sternly but politely asked the kid to give back the ball, made him go to the end of the line like everyone else. I grabbed a few others, asked them to line up and tried to maintain any form of order I could. All this time a group of mums were standing a few feet away. One gave me a look like she didn't know whether she approved of what I was doing or not. It was obvious one of the gremlins was her's. When we moved on to the next activity, one kid made another cry. The crying child ran to his mum for comfort, and what did she do? She shushes him and made him go to the helper since she was too busy chatting!!! The kid that was the trouble maker, and had been for a few activities now was on his own, because his mum it turns out, was sitting a few hundred feet away, under the shade of the bleachers, yacking away with other mums! If you've gone through the trouble of sacrificing your precious morning to take your child to a school event, you can at least join in! School activities is not DAY CARE. If you want to unleash your brat, let him do it at home.

Then today at the Play Room, there was a birthday party next door. It was obvious many of the parents decided to unleash their brats into the Play Room while they chatted and ate in the function room next door. There were a few kids throwing toys down the slide and from the jungle gym. I sternly told them not to because they could hit someone. While I was doing that, 2 of the parents came in to take pictures of the kids. Instead of joining me and asking their kids not to throw toys, they just stood there, taking pictures. Of course most of them didn't listen and kept throwing toys. Not too long after that a kid threw a toy and hit Nachos on her head. She started crying and came to me. I looked over to the 2 adults that were standing there and asked them if Throwing Kid was with them. Idiot Lady looks at me and asks "which one?". WHAT THE???!!!! I pointed the kid out to her and she said yes, still with a blank expression. I pointed the crying Nachos to her without saying anything before she begrudgingly tells her kid not to do it again and to come say sorry. So clearly she knew what had happened, but decided to turn a blind eye.

After a few minutes, they were all called next door since it was cake cutting time. Too short a while later while we were getting ready to go, 2 of the trouble makers came back in with the mum. She pops her head in to see them go in then leaves them there to go back to the party! As everyone knows, you are not suppose to leave your kids unattended at the playground, play room or anywhere! And more so if they are the troublesome kind. I got really upset and called the Clubhouse management. Lord only knows what the lame management people did or did not do, but at least I called.

So if you ever decide to unleash your child to wreak havoc on the playground or pick on other kids while I'm around, don't worry, my lack of patience will keep them line. In turn, I'll have every right to judge you as a parent. Oh, but I'll make sure I'll be polite at least.

No comments: