Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Let's Go On A Picnic

Nothing solidifies the reality of living somewhere than when a car is purchased. Although I'm scared of driving in HK, I actually gave in and agreed when Hubby asked if we should buy a car. And so as of yesterday, we are proud owners of a second-hand Toyota Picnic.


One of the major reasons why we wanted to get a car was to eliminate the stress of catching a cab every morning to take Boy Wonder to his school bus pick up point on Kennedy Road. There was one morning for some strange reason there were NO empty cabs that came. Boy Wonder's pick up time came and went, so I had to drag both kids all the way to Kowloon Tong. Boy Wonder loved it, Nachos liked the unexpected morning adventure in her sleep wear and I hated the commute back stuck amongst the morning rush hour crowd. At least now I know we don't have to worry about that happening anymore.

Hubby took Boy Wonder in the car this morning and this afternoon I drove the car to pick Nachos up from school. It was a pain to park along the street, but at least we no longer have to wait for a taxi to come along.

P knows just how nervous I am about driving in HK. Once we got lost going to M's house. I was in a panic even though I wasn't even the one driving. I just have this thing about one way roads, missing street signs, non-sense road signs and no U-turns! In HK, when you make a wrong turn, you're screwed! So the way I'm going to do this whole driving thing in HK will be to take a cab to wherever I need to go first then drive there myself in the future. I'll also go get myself one of those driving road atlas to know the roads a bit better.

Hmmm... I wonder how much it costs to hire a driver in HK?

No comments: