Tuesday, March 02, 2010

My Second Date with George Michael

I went to see George Michael in action over the weekend in Sydney. Meels was kind enough to go with me which made the trip more interesting. In addition to the concert, there were a few extra surprises which made our trip all the more worthwhile.

Although our flight was delayed (surprise, surprise) in taking off, we still got there with plenty of time to get to Sheraton On The Park. Good thing we decided to take the train which got us there in less than 20 minutes, instead of getting stuck in the Friday rush hour traffic. Our room was on the fifth floor with literally NO view. We had the view of a wall outside our window. It was hard to tell whether it was a sunny day or not.

After we freshened up a bit, I went off to catch the bus to the Sydney Football Stadium and Meels went off to the Sydney Opera House.

I got to the stadium with heaps of time to spare since George doesn't start his concerts on time. The venue was breath taking! I only wished I had brought my camera! Security was close to none compared to the Texas venue and no one checked my bag! Since it was an outdoor stadium, it was a beautiful sight looking up into the sky from the arena. My senses were on overdrive as I watched the thousands of people slowly trickle into the stadium, with the hum of the crowd and the adrenalin starting to kick in. The only odd thing was that my row was completely EMPTY! I tried not to let that bother me and just put on really thick skin as people can easily see I was at the concert by myself =(.

As it neared 8:15 pm, you could almost smell the excitement. The lights dimmed and just like what he did in Texas, George started singing Waiting. All you could hear was his voice. All you could take in were the words as he sang. Oh that voice. All my memories of listening to him growing up started to flood back. I was on the verge of tears. The lyrics were perfect for the opening, for someone coming back again. The last phrase of the song was almost haunting.

After the song, George Michael finally appeared on stage. The crowd went wild and all the rest was a blur of Wham! hits and George Michael hits. It was amazing listening to the crowd sing along to almost every single song. It was reaffirming hearing people in front of me and behind me say how much they love a certain song and how they loved which song growing up. It was obvious which age group most of us were in.

It was difficult for me to fully get into the groove of things at first because I felt really self conscious being the only person in my row. But after a few minutes, I thought to myself to bugger it and just enjoy myself. Although a lady did finally sit next to me and was also by herself since her husband couldn't make it, she disappeared half way through the concert. An asian couple showed up after the intermission and sat a seat away from me. But they just stood there, not singing, dancing or even tapping their toes or fingers to the music! Sheesh, how can you be that stiff at a concert???

After the concert was over, I followed the crowd as we herded ourselves to the exit and then unto our respective buses. What a night! And as expected I felt down that it was over.

The next morning, we went to have breakfast. At least we had the consolation of an awesome breakfast buffet spread to ease the disappointment of a viewless room. While at the buffet line, I over heard someone complement a group of black guys, saying it was a great show and that he saw them in Canada too. I didn't think much of it, then when I sat down, I noticed a black lady with blond hair sitting at the next table which looked a lot like one of George Michael's back up singers. I put 2 and 2 together and almost wet myself with the thought that these are his band and singers and that George himself must be staying at the hotel too. I told Meels and was kicking myself again that I didn't have a camera on me. At least if I didn't get a picture of him, maybe his posse would suffice. Then I thought he is suppose to make an appearance at the Mardi Gras, so that would give me another opportunity to go up to them tomorrow morning to take a picture with Meels' camera. There was hope yet. And also enough time to ask the concierge if they truly were George Michael's band.

That day we did some shopping, went back to the hotel to have a rest and then headed off to Billy Kwong for an early dinner. I didn't even know Kylie Kwong's restaurant was in Sydney! Thank goodness Meels is also a bit of a foodie, so we were both excited to try out the restaurant. Since they don't take reservations, we made sure we were there right before opening at 6pm. We were the 3rd group to go in. We ordered pork belly, crispy skin duck and a veggie. It was all really good!

Eagerly waiting for the restaurant to open

Pork Belly

Crispy Skin Duck

Just proof that Kylie does own the place

After dinner we walked towards the parade route and found ourselves a nice spot to wait. After about an hour of waiting, the Mardi Gras began! It was sensory over load again! There were people from all walks of life. Even though it was a Gay and Lesbian parade, there were straights, parents, politicians, public servants, kids and even topless men and women! I didn't believe them when they said it was going to be a 2 hour parade, but crap, we ended up standing there for way over 2 hours more until the parade finally ended. I can't imagine how I survived with the extra weight I was carrying. I was just thankful I wasn't further along my pregnancy or I might have had the baby there!

George Michael look alikes following behind his empty float =(

A partial shot of George Michael's empty float =(

Underwear that were thrown into the crowd from the parade people

One of the main reasons I stuck through the whole thing was in hopes of seeing George Michael make an appearance. But I wasn't surprised when his float came along empty. It was only after I got back that I found out where he was that night. Darn!

Oh! But before we left for dinner that night, I did get confirmation that George Michael was staying at our hotel!!! I was breathing the same air as he! We were probably in the same elevator, just different times. =) Oh well, I must not loose hope that someday I will finally get to meet him face to face. I was not fortunate enough to bump into his band and back up singers the next day at breakfast.

My third and possibly last date with George will be tomorrow night. I've found my camera and PRAY I'll be able to bring it in with me. Can't wait!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Summer Camps said...

wow i can feel your excitement Tehls! what a fantastic way to spend your last month in oz :)