Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Birthday Boys (Part 2 of 2)

Before I become completely immersed into organizing Boy Wonder's 4th birthday, I was stressed out organizing Hubby's birthday. I decided since it was going to be his last birthday celebrated in HK, it would be nice to have a big-ish party for him. After consulting with a few of his friends/colleagues, I set the date and started inviting anyone I thought Hubby might like to see that evening. From something I thought would be a small dinner, it started bubbling into a full on party with close to 20 guests. I started to worry whether I could pull it off!

On the day of Hubby's birthday, his mum flew into town to surprise him with a birthday lunch. He totally did not see it coming and was also happy to see me when I turned up for lunch as well. It was a great diversion too because at that point I hoped he wasn't expecting anything else after such a wonderful surprise.

The next thing I was most worried about was how to get Hubby to the venue! I was worried he might schedule a long business trip and not come back that weekend. When it turned out he wasn't going anywhere that weekend, I became worried he'd suspect something if I insisted we go somewhere. So I started planting the idea of a dinner with my friends on May 3. I tried to act as nonchalant as possible and I think it worked. When the week of the party came along, I asked for the assistance of one of his friends by asking her to schedule drinks with him and another friend. That turned out well because I told him why not come by dinner with my friends before you head off to drinks with yours.

So the evening of his party finally arrived. After getting both kids to bed, we got ready and left on a cab. The whole time I was still worried whether Hubby was putting up a really good act of not knowing what was going on. When we got to the bar/restaurant I rushed in first to let people know we've arrived. And when Hubby stepped in, everyone started cheering. He was totally surprised!

As you can see from his wrinkling forehead, he was wondering what the heck was going on. Too bad he didn't have his glasses on when we stepped into the restaurant. He said he couldn't see anything and could only hear cheering. The first person he saw was his ex-boss and it was only after he had a better look at the table that he realized what was happening.

So all in all it was a great success. Hubby's mum coming was a double blessing and all of Hubby's friends were wonderfully helpful. Everyone had fun, the food was good and the drinks kept flowing. And most of all, Hubby had a great time.

1 comment:

christao17 said...

Thanks fantastic fun, Tehls! Good job pulling it off! The funniest thing is that Chris didn't have his glasses on so couldn't see what was happening...