Saturday, April 14, 2007

A Great Spa Bath Experience

A few days ago I was suffering from a bout of allergies. I kept sneezing and had itchy watery eyes for 3 days straight. In the good old days when I was single, I would sleep off my allergy attacks and it always worked. Finding myself incapable of sleeping in nor taking a 4 hour nap, I decided to take a chance and take a really long and hot shower. I nursed Nachos as long as I could, turned the tv on to Disney channel and asked our helper to man the castle while I ducked into the shower and see how long the kids could last without me.

So there I was standing under the wonderfully steaming hot water when I thought why not settle in and have a bubble bath? Its been literally ages since I had one. I think the last time I actually had a relaxing bubble bath was before Boy Wonder was even in the picture! With a sudden gush of excitement, I stepped out quickly and took out a bottle of L'Occitane which was gathering dust under our sink. I filled up the tub, poured the bubble bath in and as I soaked in the hot bubbles, wondered why I didn't try harder to find time to do such simple and luxurious pampering to myself.

For a few minutes I closed my eyes and imagined I was all alone. I imagined I had no responsibilities, no husband, no kids. If this was a thought I had a few years ago, it would have depressed me, but for just those few minutes it was such a relaxing thought. I pictured myself back in my old apartment in Manila, sleeping in until 11am. I had a party to get ready for the evening and a weekend away with friends coming up. My life was simply just me, I didn't have to worry about anything else. I settled deeper into my tub of bubbles, sighed and smiled.

I was all ready to stay there as long as I could. Maybe even drift off into sleep when for some reason I opened my eyes just slightly for a peek. I saw all those glorious bubbles again but darn it, I just had to further my gaze to the left and noticed a thick film of soap scum underneath the tub handles our helper had over looked and built up over the past few months. I quickly closed my eyes again and tried to forget but it was too late. The next thing I knew it, I was looking around the whole tub, checking to see what other part of our spa bath our helper had neglected to clean. Turns out when you have a spa bath, you need to make sure all the water outlets are scrubbed. Coz if you don't do it, your tub will turn out like ours, with tons of yellow and black spots building up with dirt and soap scum.

So after that grim realization, I couldn't enjoy my bath anymore. All I could think of was the fact that I was soaking in soap scum. Of course I was just being obsessive compulsive. Then I suddenly started fearing Nachos would burst out in tears any moment. At that point I asked myself is the life I left behind really better than what I have now? Why would anybody choose never ending responsibilities, no total freedom and never being able to sleep-in anymore? All I wanted was to have a nice bubble bath and I couldn't even achieve that! I was sitting in my tub of supposedly dirty bubbles and I was not happy anymore.

But just when I was about to drown myself in self doubt and soap scum, the bathroom door suddenly burst open, and there Boy Wonder was standing next to me outside the tub asking: " Mama, what you doing?" with a big big smile. I told him mama was taking a bath and the next thing I knew Boy Wonder was taking off his clothes all by himself and asking me to help him into the bubbles with me. As he got in, he said "This is nice Mama, lots of bubbles." and started to play with his toys next to me. I sat there and watched him for a few minutes while he tried to cover my shower cap with bubbles. And as he scooped handfulls of bubbles, he would laugh out in mischief and glee.

So I guess I got my answer at that moment and happily stepped out of the tub and watched Boy Wonder play. There is nothing in this world I wouldn't give up to see Boy Wonder happy and laughing like that. So I don't get to sleep-in anymore, nor do anything I want whenever I want, but at least I'll have my bubble baths from now on. And at least I've got a helper who have cleaned the tub thoroughly. I admit I miss those single days now and then, but that is nothing compared to what I have now.

1 comment:

ragamuffin girl said...

a big awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, take a pic of sammy with his ears full of bubbles!