Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I Will Judge

I took Boy Wonder to the playroom this morning and there were only a few kids there. There was this mainlander with her maybe one and a half year old. While Boy Wonder was at the entrance of the ball pit, he accidentally fell in and hit the head of the other boy. Immidiately they both started crying and the mainlander mom or caretaker, got really upset and started commenting on what kind of kid is this blah blah blah. I grabbed Boy Wonder so he would stop crying and told him to say sorry to the other kid. The other mom didn't acknowledge us and just walked away.

A few minutes later, there was another boy pushing a toy car around the room. He suddenly hit the seat which that first boy was also pushing around. No one was hurt, none of the kids looked like they were frightened or anything, but that mom again started blabbering in Chinese on who's kid is this, what does he think he's doing, why is no one watching him, blah blah blah. The helper who was watching the boy quickly grabbed him and walked away. I got really upset after this incident because it seems to be a pattern now with this mainlander.

Probably a full 5 minutes later, that mainlander mom/caretaker was still at it, making audible side comments about that other kid. There was this other mainlander there that told her the helpers don't understand what she's saying anyways and that she should stop. She kept at it and when Boy Wonder wondered abit too close to that first boy, I made sure I was close this time in case she goes nutty if Boy Wonder happens to touch him accidentally. When I got close she was still making comments! I couldn't stand it anymore and told her to calm down and not get so excited. I said kids will always fall or trip or get hit. You can't always be right there to make sure nothing happens to them. If you over protect them, what will happen when they get older? She then said there are psychological effects that will happen to her kid if he gets hit or bumped. I actually chuckled and said it was a toy car, made of plastic. It barely touched her kid. If she is this over protective her kid won't be able to watch over himself when he gets older. Then I walked away.

Maybe 30 minutes later what seemed to be that boy's real parents showed up. Turns out the mainlander was only the caretaker. But it just bugged me again because the first thing the mother said when she saw her kid crawling around the floor was oh no, isn't the floor too rough for him to be crawling on? I just shook my head and told myself I can't stand parents like that. I know I shouldn't judge, but darn it, I will judge this time.

There are now a bunch of these parents bringing up a whole generation of over-weight, over protected spoiled brats. Kids who will never be able to fend for themselves as adults. Adults who will never know the importance of independence. Adults who think they have the right to everything. Adults who will further spawn screwed up kids just like them.

I know all that I said to that mainlander was a waste of my saliva and energy. The caretaker was probably just watching out for her own interest since she didn't want to get in trouble with her employer. All I can do for now is to make sure Boy Wonder and Nachos grow up to be well mannered, independent and well adjusted kids. Although I'm tempted not to, I know I also need to warn them about these screwed up kids/adults they'll meet in the future. I'd like to explain to them that we have to be open-minded and understand they're not to blame for what they've become. Blame it on the parents.

Gosh, I wonder what my kids will be blaming me for when they grow up!

1 comment:

Josephine said...

i really like this blog. i was a camp counselor last summer and i think i know exactly where you're coming from. I have a blog now too, so i started looking at yours because i just remembered you had one. have a wonderful day, cuz!
-Josephine (tine-tine)